A collaboration between The University of Manchester, Edinburgh University, Essex University, Lancaster University and Leeds University with Fellowships based at Cardiff University, Queens University Belfast and The University of Salford
Members of the SPRG regularly give presentations and publish a variety of materials regarding their research.
Click a type of content below to see the available items of that type.
- Browne, A.L., Pullinger, M., Anderson,B. and Medd, W. (2013) 'The Performance of Practice: An alternative approach to attitudinal and behavioural ‘customer segmentation’ for the UK water industry'SPRG Discussion Paper 5
- Darmon, I. and Warde, A. (2013) 'Change in eating habits: the contribution of new local food infrastructures. The case of a Scottish initiative Community Food Moray, Morayshire.'SPRG Discussion Paper 3, January 2013
- Darmon, I and Warde, A. (2013) 'Initiatives locales et changement d’habitudes alimentaires
Note De Terrain : Le Champ Commun/Le Garde Manger – Augan, Morbihan (Bretagne)'Rapport en Francais: SPRG Discussion Paper 4, (tr. June 2013)
- Darmon, I. and Warde, A. (2013) 'Change in eating habits: the contribution of new local food infrastructures. The case of a French initiative: Le Champ Commun/Le Garde Manger - Augan, Morbihan (Bretagne).'SPRG Discussion Paper 4, January 2013
- Harvey, H., McMeekin, A., Shove, E., Southerton, D.and Walker, G.(2012) 'Researching Social Practice and Sustainability: puzzles and challenges.'SPRG Discussion Paper 2, April 2012
- Schatzki, T. (2011) "Where the Action is (On Large Social Phenomena Such as Socio technical Regimes)."SPRG Discussion Paper 1, November 2011
- Browne, A.L., Medd, W. and Anderson, B. (2013) 'Developing Novel Approaches to Tracking Domestic Water Demand Under Uncertainty — A Reflection on the “Up Scaling” of Social Science Approaches in the United Kingdom' Water Resources Management , 27 (4), pp. 1013-36 DOI 10.1007/s11269-012-0117-y
- McMeekin, A. and Southerton, D. (2012) 'Sustainability transitions and final consumption: practices and socio-technical systems', Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 24:4, 345-361
- Foster, C., McMeekin, A. and Mylan, J. (2012) 'The entanglement of consumer expectations and (eco) innovation sequences: the case of orange juice', Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 24 (4), 391-405
- McMeekin, A. and Rothman, H. (2012) 'Innovation, consumption and environmental sustainability', introduction to special edition Technology Analysis & Strategic Management, 24(4), pp. 327-330.
- Southerton D., Diaz-Mendez C and Warde A, (2012) ‘Behavioural Change and the Temporal Ordering of Eating Practices: A UK-Spain Comparison’. International Journal of Sociology of Agriculture and Food, 19 (1) pp19-36
- Southerton, D., (2012 on line) 'Habits, routines and temporalities of consumption: From individual behaviours to the reproduction of everyday practices'. Time & Society (published online before print 13.12.2012) DOI: 10.1177/0961463X12464228This article demonstrates the need for empirical attention to the temporal conditioning of everyday practices. In doing so, it outlines a threefold conceptual framework.
- Southerton, D., Olsen,W., Warde, A., Cheng, S. (2012) 'Practices and trajectories: A comparative analysis of reading in France, Norway, the Netherlands, the UK and the USA.' Journal of Consumer Culture 12 (3) pp237-262This article uses time diary data to examine trajectories of change of reading related practices within the aforementioned countries.
- Southerton, D. (2011) ‘Consumption', British Sociological Association: 60th Anniversary Special Collection December, 2011
- Middlemiss, L K and Parrish, B (2010) 'Building capacity for low-carbon communities: The role of grassroots initiatives' Energy Policy 38:12 pp 7559-7566This paper questions the role that grassroots initiatives can have in creating low-carbon communities. Using a theoretical framework from work on community-based practice change initiatives, it discusses the interplay between grassroots action and community capacity. Key themes include the importance of locally crafted solutions according to the structures specific to place.
- Marsden, T, Franklin, A, Newton, J and Middleton, J (2010) Sustainability in Practice: Situated learning and knowledge for the evolving eco-economy Town Planning Review 81 (5) pp 541-562
- Hodson, M. and Marvin, S. (2010) 'Can cities shape socio-technical transitions and how would we know if they were?', Research Policy, 39(4): 477-85.
Books & Chapters
- Warde, A. (2012) ‘Eating’, in Trentmann, F. (ed) The Handbook of the History of Consumption, Oxford University Press, Chapter 19
- Shove, E. (2012) ‘Comfort and Convenience: Temporality and Practice', in Trentmann F. (ed) The Handbook of the History of Consumption, Oxford University Press, Chapter 15
- Warde, A., Southerton D.,(Eds) (2012) The Habits of Consumption, COLLeGIUM of Studies Across Disciplines in the Humanities and Social Sciences, Volume 12
- Shove, E., Pantzar, M. and Watson, M. (2012) The Dynamics of Social Practice Everyday Life and how it Changes London: Sage Publications.
- Southerton D, (2011), ‘Are We Running Out of Time?', in V. May (ed.) Sociology of Personal Life, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, pp 121-133.
- Spurling, N., McMeekin, A., Shove, E., Southerton, D., Welch, D. (2013) 'Interventions in practice - re-framing policy approaches to consumer behaviour' (Executive Summary)Executive Summary of the 'Interventions in Practice' SPRG report (see below).
- Spurling, N., McMeekin, A., Shove, E., Southerton, D., Welch, D. (2013) 'Interventions in practice - re-framing policy approaches to consumer behaviour' (Full Report)This SPRG report introduces a novel practice perspective to sustainability policy. The report examines current, common problem framings and argues that social practices are a better target of intervention for sustainability policy than 'behaviour', 'choice' or technical innovation alone.
- Browne, A., Pullinger, M., Anderson, B., Medd, W. (2013) 'Patterns of Water: Resource Pack' Supplement to Patterns of Water project Final Report
- Pullinger, M., Browne, A., Anderson, B., Medd, W. (2013) 'Patterns of Water: The water related practices of households in southern England, and their influence on water consumption and demand management' Final report of the ARCC-Water/ SPRG Patterns of Water projects (March 2013)
- Harvey, M. (2012) "Drinking-Water and drinking water: Trajectories of Provision and Consumption in the UK, Taiwan and Delhi." CRESI WORKING PAPER NUMBER: 2012-02.
- Southerton, D., McMeekin, A. and Evans, D (2011) 'International Review of Behaviour Change Inititatives', Scottish Government Report.This report, commissioned as part of the Scottish Government's Climate Change Behaviours Research Programme, reviews a range of behaviour change initiatives that have attempted to reduce the carbon intensity of consumption practices. It aims to enhance understandings of different approaches to behaviour change, and to explore the transferability of initiatives to the Scottish context.
- Hodson, M and Marvin, S. (2010) 'Making Low-Carbon England and Wales',Report published in Town and Country Planning Association Review, September 2010, pp388-392.
- Southerton, D. (2014) 'SPRG - a social practice perspective'Presentation to the Scottish Government Climate Change Lunchtime Seminar 5 March 2014
- Guy, S. and Karvonen, A. (2013) ''District Heating and the Rescaling of Urban Energy Provision'Presentation to the Scottish Government Climate Change Lunchtime Seminar.
- Anderson, B. (2012). "Smart Demand: Lessons from Water"Invited Paper at Smart Demand (iHeat 2012). Murray Edwards College, Cambridge. 13th November 2012
- Brand, R. (2012) ' Domestic comfort practices and the influence of energy efficient technologies.'Changing the Climate: Innovation in the Built Environment for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, 28-29 September 2012
- Karvonen, A. (2012) 'District Heat and Power Networks.'Changing the Climate: Innovation in the Built Environment for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, 28-29 September 2012
- Guy, S. and Karvonen, A. (2012) ‘District Heating Comes to Ecotown: Zero Carbon Housing and the Rescaling of Energy Provision in the UK.’From networked to post-networked urbanism: new infrastructure configurations and urban transitions, International Roundtable Workshop, Laboratoire Techniques Territoires Societe (LATTS), Autun, France, 17-20 July 2012
- Anderson, B. (2012) "Practices by proxy: climate, consumption and water (and troubles with data).Can Climate Change Policies Be Fair? a workshop at the Royal Statistical Society, London, UK. July 5th 2012
- Anderson, B., Browne, A. and Medd, W. (2012). "Practices by proxy: climate, consumption and water."BSA Climate Change Study Group Event: "Methodological and conceptual approaches for researching climate change at different societal scales". Southampton, UK. 30-31 March 2012
- Anderson, B. and Browne, A.and Medd, W. (2012) "Practices by proxy: climate, consumption and water."Living Costs and Food Survey user meeting, Royal Statistical Society, London, 20th March 2012
- Glucksman, M and Wheeler, K. (2012) '‘'Consumption work’ and systems of provision: practices of recycling in England and Sweden"Presented at SPRG Political Economy Workshop, colchester, hosted by University of Essex 26-27th Jan 2012.
- Geels, F. (2012) 'Grand societal challenges and the reorientation of incumbent industries: A dialectic issue life cycle model and examples'Presented at SPRG Political Economy Workshop, Colchester, hosted by University of Essex 26-27th Jan 2012.
- Browne, A, Medd, W & Anderson, B, (2011) 'Seven core issues for water demand management under CC and uncertainty: Reflection on practice and sociological approaches'.Presented at Annual International Conference of the RGS-IBG, RGS-IBG, London, 31 August 2011 to 2 September 2011
- Karvonen, A., Guy, S., Brand,R., Walker, G. (2011) ‘Pathways to Zero Carbon Housing in the UK: Science, Commerce, and Community’Energy and People: Futures, Complexity and Challenges Conference, University of Oxford, 20-21 September 2011
- Shove, E. (2011) 'Sustainable Practices'.Presented at 'Behaviour Change or Social Change?' conference, University of Newcastle. 23rd June 2011
- Walker, G. (2011) ‘Geographies of Energy Consumption.'Presented at Royal Geographical Society, London, seminar on 'Geographies of Energy Transition: Security, Climate, and Governance.' 17th June 2011
- Shove, E. (2011) 'Energy and Everyday Life'Presented at University of Leeds, seminar for the Institute of Transport Studies, 10th June 2011.
- Shove, E. (2011) 'Habits and their Creatures',Presented at Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies: 'Social Science and Sustainable Consumption'. 28th April, 2011
- Shove, E. (2011) 'Transitions in practice: implications for sustainable consumption'Public lecture at Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies: 'Social science and sustainable consumption.' 27th April 2011
- Shove, E. (2011) 'Policies to Promote Sustainable Consumption: Future Vision on Sustainable Consumption in the EU'Workshop held in Brussels funded by the European Commission. 13th April 2011.
- Shove, E. (2011) 'Climate change and transitions in practice - setting and challenging agendas'British Sociological Association Annual Conference, London School of Economics, 7-8th April 2011.
- Anderson, B. (2011) 'Practice Hunting'.Presented at ESRC Sustainable Practices Research Group Workshop 'Studying sustainable practices: methodological challenges and puzzles'. Tuesday 22nd March, 2011, Lancaster.
- Parry S, & Shove E (2010) 'Engagement, Interaction and Influence: Strategies and Challenges for the Sustainable Practices Research Group'.Presented as part of the ISSTI Seminar Series, University of Edinburgh 10th Dec 2010
- Newton, J & Franklin A (2010) 'Sustaining resilience: nurturing local food networks through community action'.Paper presented a the RGS-IBG Annual Conference, September 2010
- Harvey, M., and Anderson, B., (2011) 'Sustainable Practices Research: Preliminary Thoughts'.Presented at the Centre for Research in Economic Sociology and Innovation Seminar, University of Essex 10th Feb. 2011
- Southerton, D. (2010), ‘Introduction: Consumption, Economic Growth and Prosperity’Presentation to the SCI Public Debate 'Economic growth, prosperity and sustainability: a contradiction?' London, November 2010
- Warde, A. (2010) Practices, habits and sustainable consumption.Paper presented to University of Helsinki, Dept. of Sociology in Sept. 2010
- Southerton, D. (2010) 'Habits and everyday life: a practice-based approach to food consumption', presentation to FoBonet: Socio-cultural Perspectives on Food, Body and Health Conference, Helsinki, August.
- Warde, A. (2010) 'The Challenge of Making Consumption Sustainable'Lecture delivered at the Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, University of Helsinki, in October 2010.
- Southerton, D. (2010) 'Reordering temporal rhythms: coordinating daily practices in the UK in 1937 and 2000'.Presented to UKTRC Summer School, Leeds University, September 2010.
- Southerton, D. (2010) 'Bad habits die hard or do they?', Public Lecture and Debate, The Times Cheltenham Science FestivalThis presentation was given at The Times Cheltenham Science Festival in June 2010
- Southerton, D. (2011) 'Eating practices: the challenges and ingredients for a sociology of sustainable food consumption'.Presented at the launch event of the British Sociological Association's Climate Change Study Group, the British Library, London. 17th January 2011
- Parry, S., & Murphy, J., (2010) 'Engagement Interaction and Influence: Practices Approach to Sustainable Behaviours'.Presented at 'What Works in Behaviour Change' event, Scottish Government, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh. 28th June 2010